Flying the San Francisco Bay Area
Here are some of the attractions to be found at Bay Area airports.
The Bay Area has an abundance of airport eateries:
- Concord: Atrium Court Restaurant (inside Crowne Plaza Hotel)
- Half Moon Bay: Three-Zero Cafe
- Livermore: Beeb's Restaurant (at the Las Positas golf course)
- Marina: Marina Airport Restaurant
- Monterey: Golden Tee Restaurant
- Palo Alto: Abundant Air
- Petaluma: Two-Niner Diner
- Salinas: Landing Zone
- San Carlos: Sky Kitchen
- Santa Rosa: Sky Lounge Restaurant
In addition to the on-airport restaurants, there are a number of foodspots within walking distance of airports:
Half Moon Bay: At the south end of the airport is an additional aircraft transient parking area that puts pilots within short walking distance to seafood restaurants and shops at the Princeton-by-the-Sea marina.
Palo Alto: In addition to Abundant Air, three more restaurants air within walking distance: Harry's Hoffbrau across the street at the Palo Alto Municipal Golf Course, Scott's Seafood, and Ming's Chinese on Embarcadero Road.
Livermore: Cattlemen's Steakhouse, a short distance up Airway Blvd from the terminal building.
San Jose Reid-Hillview: At the southeast corner of the airport, on the corner of Tully Rd and Capitol Expressway, is a small shopping center featuring several restaurants: Togo's Eatery (sandwiches), Panda Express, Jamba Juice, and Starbucks, as well as an Albertson's supermarket. Walk a bit further south to the Eastridge shopping mall for Red Robin, Chili's, and Macaroni Grill.
- Pacific Coast Air Museum Sonoma County Airport, Santa Rosa
- Hiller Aviation Museum San Carlos Airport
- Oakland Western Aerospace Museum Oakland Airport (North Field)
- Wings of History Museum South County Airport, San Martin
- Palo Alto Golf Course adjacent to the Palo Alto Airport
- Buchanan Fields Golf Course, adjacent to Buchanan Field, Concord
- Skywest Golf Course ajacent to the Hayward Airport
- Las Positas Golf Course adjacent to the Livermore Airport; Aircraft parking available at the northwest apron.
- Rooster Run Golf Course adjacent to the Petaluma Airport
Beaches, fishing, boating, and kayaking are all a short walk from the south transient parking area of the Half Moon Bay airport
Gliders are very active at the Hollister airport.
Paved walking and biking paths connect the Palo Alto airport with Shoreline Park, which features many wetlands walking paths, bird watching, a lake with sailboat, windsurfing and kayak rentals, and the Lakeshore restaurant. To reach the trail, exit the airport on Embarcadero Road, then turn left on Faber Place. The trail begins at the end of Faber Place. Total distance from the airport to the lake boathouse is about 3 miles.
Raging Waters waterpark is adjacent to the Reid-Hillview airport in San Jose. To reach the park from the airport, head south (right out of the airport entrance) on Capitol Expressway, then turn left at Tully Road. The park entrance is on the left.